Saturday, August 25, 2007

Being a teacher

Once school started on Tuesday, all of me was invaded by my profession. However, looking out at 24-30 students 1st-6th period everyday was still unreal to me. It was an overwhelming week to say the least.

Today, I began to pray. My prayer has also been invaded by thoughts about teaching, my fears, my stress, my excitement, etc. What was amazing during this time of prayer was how God reminded me that He has it in control, and with His help, I'll be fine. There were two things that stood out to me as I prayed: Dewey and the sunrise.

I was thanking God for Dewey--his support and encouragement, his keeping up the home front, his willingness to listen to my stories about everything that happened that day, his contributions to my lesson plans, and his love....how he can just hold me, and it all feels a little better. As I prayed this, I could see God's hand working in me through Dewey.

Everyday, I drive about 30-35 minutes to get to school taking the back roads. There is this one stretch of road where the speed limit goes up to 55, and the sunrise over the fields never ceases to amaze me. It is somewhat dark when I leave home, but by the time I reach those fields, the sun is rising and the clouds turn beautiful colors. I thank God for that sunrise. I get so caught up in making sure everything is perfect for the day, that it would be easy to forget about God. It would be easy to not be aware of what He is doing around me, through me, and in me...until I see that sunrise. I did not really think about it until I was thanking Him for it today, but that sunrise brings clarity to my day. He reminds me that He is bigger and more beautiful than anything I could possible do while attempting to teach those "kids" (who are almost all bigger than me!).

I thank God for reminding me of all His is and for doing that while I'm praying.

No comments: