Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Nehemiah's Prayer: God-Focused

It occurred to me quickly that Nehemiah's prayer reflects a belief that the world revolves around God, not Nehemiah. Some could say that this is simply persuasive language, as if Nehemiah is engaged in persuading God to do something; he is making his case, pleading his cause, for God to act. And, in the world where I live, this seems plausible. But in the world of the kingdom, everything is focused on God, so that our understanding of life as we know it, is filtered through God as we know it. With this perspective the prayer takes on another meaning. Now, Nehemiah is simply describing things in their proper context, the context of who God is and what God has done.
verse 5: I beseech You (who else would I ask?)...God of heaven...great and awesome...preserves the covenant (you're faithful even when it seems you are not)
verse 6: Your ear...Your eyes (I speak only to you)...Your servant (Nehemiah's position)...Your servants (those who he is praying for)...we have sinned against You (recognition of sin at the core, against God)
verse 7: against You (object of our sin)...You commanded (God's authority)...Your servant (Moses described in light of who God is)
verse 8: You commanded...Your servant
verse 9: return to Me (God never changed)...My commandments (recognizing God's word/voice)...My name (Place centered around God)
verse 10: Your servants...Your people (God's people)...You redeemed (God's action)...Your great power (God's efforts)...Your strong hand (God's effort)
verse 11: I beseech You...Your ear...Your servant...Your servants...Your name...Your servant

This is in sharp contrast to Nehemiah referring to himself
verse 5: I beseech You (I beg of you)
verse 6: I am praying (subjected to you)...I and my father's house (personal accountability for sin)
verse 7: We (sin accountability)
verse 11: I beseech You...him (in the Hebrew, and I'm no Hebrew scholar, there is no word for him, it seems to be an understood indirect object of grant, the receiver of compassion)

In light of God-focused, kingdom living, maybe Nehemiah just recognizes better his relationship with God, whereas my natural response is to persuade God; can both sound the same? Where is my heart?

No comments: