Saturday, August 25, 2007

Jesus is awake

The beginning of Mark groans as one waking up from a slumber. Once hope has arrived the passage begins to move. Simon and Andrew join the flood, James and John too. The unclean spirit recognizes Jesus and calls Him the Holy one of God. Jesus rebukes the unclean spirit and it cries out, leaving the man. The flood pours forth. Immediately the news about Jesus spreads everywhere (vs 28). Immediately Jesus goes to the house of Simon and Andrew (vs 29). They immediately began speaking to Jesus about their mother-in-law (vs 30). The next verse slows as Jesus carefully and compassionately raises the woman and takes her hand, healing her. Her response to His love is to serve.

I can relate to Jesus up to this point. I like this. He works fast and well but slows to help and love people. This is an image of Jesus I like. But the passage continues.

After the sun sets the entire city comes to the door of this house. These people had heard of the flood and brought the ill and the demon-possessed. Jesus heals them after hours. I'm not sure if I'm willing to take from my rest to do the works of the Lord. I seem to lose sleep over many things, not usually serving. Jesus is awake. The kingdom is at hand.

But Jesus is not here to deal only with physical issues of sickness; He has come for something more. Early the next morning Jesus leaves the house to pray in a secluded place. His companions didn't even know where He was. This is a picture of Jesus that I have a hard time being like or even wanting to be like. My early morning attempts at solitude with the Lord are head-bobbing fests with slowly closing eyes. Jesus did not consider his task complete at just working for God, He desired to be with God. Praying was important to Jesus. It was more important than recovering physically from a long day of serving the Lord. Jesus at all times believes that the issue isn't physical but spiritual.

I want to be more and more like Jesus. I want to work for the Lord but always value my time with the Lord over my serving others for Him. Works are a response to the love He pours out on us. In the midst of how immediate everything seems around me, I want to take time to seclude myself and pray to the God who doesn't sleep. The flood is not the works of our hands but Jesus' words: "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

We must pray.

No comments: