Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Immediacy of Christ

In both the NASB and ESV translations of Mark, the word immediately is used nine times in the first chapter. (In fact, the word is used a great deal in the entire book). However, in the NIV translation it is used only once, "Immediately the leprosy left," (Mark 1:42). Alternatively these scholars use: at once (twice), without delay, began, just then, as soon as. I looked through the Message just to see how Peterson approached this and he also only uses it once, "Immediately, they left their father Zebedee," (Mark 1:~19-20). Peterson uses other phrases such as: the moment that, at once, they didn't ask questions, Jesus lost no time, suddenly, directly, then and there. Given the way these four versions approach the text, this makes sense. The NASB and the ESV are more literal sentence for sentence translation, whereas the NIV and The Message are more paragraph/thought progression translations (helping passages flow better). Hence, using the word immediately so many times, actually makes the chapter feel a bit staccato. Now, I'm no original language guru (let's face it, I only know English) and so I will not critique either approach here, nor the translators' ability to stay true to the text. However, I will comment on what it stirs within me.

As I read Mark 1 from the NASB version, I get this overall sense of urgency, this sense of action, this sense of presence. Something new and important is happening here. There is action and there is response and there is not a lot of waiting. Granted, Mark's voice leads to this feeling as the other gospel accounts, of these same events, do not feel as pressing. Yet, Mark has a purpose in writing, to present Jesus the servant with a purpose - to give His life as a ransom for many. It is an action packed presentation of the events, miracles, and acts of "Jesus Christ, the Son of God," (Mark 1:1).

This chapter (and really this book) spurs me to action. These miracles and the way events happen push me to recognize the immediacy of the moment. They seem to ask me, "what are you waiting for?" Sometimes, I feel like I plan and think about response rather than acting. At times, this is prudent, to plan and decide. At other times it is simply cowardice. I know what needs to be done, but I am afraid: afraid of what people might think or afraid of a particular response (or non-response). This is simply self-management of situations, seeking to predict and control the outcomes. In my life, Jesus seems to challenge this head-on. Whereas I would like to know and determine the outcome of my actions, Jesus seems to not allow for that, He seems to keep the results open and bids me follow. It is almost as if we are walking on the beach and he finds a dark cave (why would I ever want to go in there?), yet Jesus walks in, pops back out and says "you gotta see this." Knowing Jesus, this does not necessarily mean that there is something that He simply wants me to see, but that He wants me to do something. Interestingly, I can either follow Him into the cave or hang out on the beach waiting for His return. Sometimes I choose to immediately follow, to experience the action, sometimes I choose to lay on the beach and soak-up the rays, generally, to my detriment - without the sunscreen.

The immediacy of Christ, always present, always guiding, always challenging: "the time is fulfilled, the kingdom of God is at hand, repent and believe in the gospel."

No comments: