Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Sorrow and Resolution

In verse 3 of chapter 1 we see Nehemiah hearing about how the Jews who had escaped were faring. Then we see him fast, pray, and weep over the news. I have heard some commentators who say that Nehemiah was truly concerned and lamenting anew over the razing of Jerusalem 140 years earlier. In this, they make an argument for our recognition of the gravity of some situations and to own the sorrow and sin of corporate/community rejection of God. Other commentators feel that Nehemiah is referencing a failed attempt at rebuilding Jerusalem detailed in Ezra 4:7-23. My gut feel leans toward the latter as it seems to make more sense. However, my choice is based on just reading some opinions and choosing what seems most logical in explanation.

However, what I am intrigued by is his response to the need of Jerusalem, “I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.” I fully understand that an ancient Jewish culture more understood how to truly mourn than we do today; Middle East morning is an event for participation. Yet, I’m not even sure if these types of things move me to one hour of mourning versus Nehemiah’s days of mourning. I think about tragedies in the last five years that have moved me: Rwandan genocide, Sudanese genocide, Ugandan child refugees, Katrina victims at the Super Dome; these have caused me pause. Yet to be honest many have not moved me to action or response like Nehemiah. I may have prayed and mourned some. I may have even given some time and energy to helping a particular cause associated with people affected, but I’m not sure I mirror the depth of Nehemiah’s seeking God, nor the things in Nehemiah’s mind.

It does seem that Nehemiah already began to form in his mind what he would (and could) do in this situation. He seems to be subjecting himself to God, looking for his guidance, and planning on moving forward. I don’t know how much was formed in his mind at this point, but he truly has an agenda in speaking to God. Nehemiah also demonstrates care for the people, a real heart-love for these Jewish survivors. He doesn’t sugar-coat the problems, but demonstrates his connection to the trouble and the need for repentance. Additionally, Nehemiah states that he understands what the objective is for the people to move forward, “if you return to me and keep my commandments and do them.” Interestingly, he seems to have a bit of a plan of how he personally will be involved in the restoration of these Jewish survivors and how he will ensure its success, “and make Your servant successful today and grant him compassion before this man.” Nehemiah has begun his plan, not satisfied to merely mourn, but to change the situation, to resolve the difficulties.

No comments: